Digital single-lens non-reflex, AF/AE camera
SD card, SDHC card, SDXC memory card
* Compatible with Ultra High Speed (UHS-I) and Eye-Fi Cards.
22.3 x 14.9 mm (APS-C size)
Canon EF-M lenses, Canon EF lenses including EF-S lenses
(35mm-equivalent focal length is approx.1.6x the lens focal length)
Canon EF-M mount (Canon EF-M lenses can be mounted directly to the camera. Canon EF lenses (including EF-S lenses) can be attached by using the optional Mount Adapter EF-EOS M.)
Effective pixels: Approx. 18.0 megapixels
4.3 µm square
Total pixels: Approx. 18.50 megapixels
3:2 (Horizontal : Vertical)
Color Filter System
RGB primary color filters
Low Pass Filter
Fixed position in front of the CMOS sensor
Dust Deletion Feature
(1) Self Cleaning Sensor Unit
- Removes dust adhering to the low-pass filter.
- Self-cleaning executed automatically (taking approx. 2 sec.) when power is turned on or off. Manual execution also possible (taking approx. 5 sec.).
(2) Dust Delete Data acquisition and appending
- The coordinates of the dust adhering to the low-pass filter are detected by a test shot and appended to subsequent images.
- The dust coordinate data appended to the image is used by the provided software to automatically erase the dust spots.
(3) Manual cleaning
Complies with Design rule for Camera File system 2.0 and Exif 2.30
(1) Large: Approx. 17.90 Megapixels (5,184 x 3,456)
(2) Medium: Approx. 8.00 Megapixels (3,456 x 2,304)
(3) Small 1: Approx. 4.50 Megapixels (2,592 x 1,728)
(4) Small 2: Approx. 2.50 Megapixels (1920 x 1280)
(5) Small 3: Approx. 350,000 Pixels (720 x 480)
(6) RAW: Approx. 17.90 Megapixels (5,184 x 3,456)
The following three types of file numbering method can be set:
(1) Continuous numbering
* The numbering of captured images will continue even after you replace the camera's card.
(2) Auto reset
* When you replace the camera's card, the numbering will be reset to start from 0001. If the new card already contains images, the numbering will continue from the last recorded image in the card.
(3) Manual reset
* Resets the file number to 0001, and creates a new folder automatically.
RAW + JPEG Simultaneous Recording
RAW and JPEG Large images are recorded simultaneously
sRGB, Adobe RGB
Auto, Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Neutral, Faithful, Monochrome, User Defined 1-3
Auto (Approx. 3,000° - 7,000°K), Daylight (Approx. 5,200°K), Shade (Approx. 7,000°K), Cloudy, Twilight and Sunset (Approx. 6,000°K), Tungsten Light (Approx. 3,200°K), White Fluorescent Light (Approx. 4,000°K), Flash, Custom (Custom White Balance: Approx. 2,000° - 10,000°K)
Auto White Balance
Auto white balance with the image sensor
Color Temperature Compensation
White balance correction:
Blue/amber bias: ±9 levels
Magenta/green bias: ±9 levels
* Correction based on the current WB mode's color temperature.
Color Temperature Information Transmission
TTL-CT-SIR AF-dedicated CMOS sensor
31 points (maximum)
AF Working Range
EV 1 to 18 (at 73°F/23°C, ISO 100)
With Canon EF-M Lenses:
- One-Shot AF or Servo AF
(2) Manual focus (MF)
(3) AF + MF (manual focus after One-Shot AF)
AF Point Selection
(1) Manual selection
(2) Auto selection
* Automatically set in Basic Zone modes.
Selected AF Point Display
AF Assist Beam
Effective range: Approx. 8.2 ft./ 2.5m. at center
* With an EOS-dedicated Speedlite attached, the Speedlite's AF-assist beam is emitted instead.
* Compatible with assist beam (intermittent firing) of 320EX flash.
Real-time evaluative metering with image sensor
Evaluative metering, partial metering (center: approx. 11%), spot metering (center: approx. 2.8%), center-weighted average metering
* AE lock possible. The active metering time can be changed.
EV 1.0 - EV 20.0 (at 73°F/23°C, EF-M 22mm f/2 STM, ISO 100)
Exposure Control Systems
(1) Program AE (shiftable)
(2) Shutter-priority AE
(3) Aperture-priority AE
(4) Manual exposure (including bulb)
(1) Creative Auto
(6) Night Portrait
(7) Handheld Night Scene mode
(8) HDR Backlight Control mode
ISO Speed Range
Manual Setting range of ISO 100-6400, expandable to ISO 12800
1. Manual setting range of ISO 100-12800, expansion to ISO 25600
2. Auto, ISO 100-6400 (in whole-stop increments)
- In Creative Zone modes, the maximum ISO speed (ISO 400, 800, 1600, 3200, or 6400) for ISO Auto can be set.
- With C.Fn-6-1 (Highlight tone priority), ISO 200 or higher will be set.
Shooting Mode ISO Settings
Scene Intelligent Auto, Creative Auto, Landscape, Close-up, Sports, Night Portrait, HDR Backlight Control mode, Handheld Night Scene mode ISO 100–6400
P, TV, Av, M∗1 ISO–6400∗2
Night Portrait ISO–12800
With flash ISO 400 fixed∗3,4 *1: Fixed at ISO 400 for Bulb exposures.
*2: Depends on the maximum ISO speed that has been set.
*3: If fill-flash will result in overexposure, the lowest ISO 100 is set.
*4: When using bounce flash with an external Speedlite in a Basic Zone mode or P mode, the ISO speed is set automatically within 400–1600 (or the maximum limit).
Manual: ±3 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
AEB : ±2 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
* Manual exposure compensation and AEB can be set in combination.
* AEB is set in the following sequence: Standard exposure, decreased exposure, and increased exposure.
* If AEB is used with the self-timer, the three bracketed shots will be taken in succession after the 10-sec. or 2-sec. delay.
(1) Auto AE lock
* In the One-Shot AF mode with evaluative metering, AE lock takes effect when focus is achieved.
(2) Manual AE lock
* In the P, Tv, Av, and M modes, enabled with the AE lock button. (Press again to update.)
* Enabled in all metering modes.
Vertical-travel, mechanical, focal-plane shutter with all speeds electronically-controlled
1/4000 to 1/60 sec., X-sync at 1/200 sec. (Scene Intelligent Auto)
1/4000 to 30 sec., bulb, X-sync at 1/200 sec. (Total shutter speed range. Available range varies by shooting mode.)
* Settable in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments.
Soft-touch electromagnetic release
10-sec. or 2-sec. delay
Shutter Lag Time
(1) During SW-1 ON, time lag between SW-2 ON and start of exposure: Approx. 0.05 sec.
(2) Time lag between simultaneous SW-1/SW-2 ON and start of exposure: Approx. 0.2 sec.
* Time lag with the aperture stopped down by 3 stops or less. Excludes AF operation time.
Built in Flash
*For flash photography, Speedlite flashes are required for the EOS M Digital Camera.
E-TTL II autoflash (evaluative flash metering and average flash metering), FE Lock
Flash Exposure Compensation
±2 stops in 1/3-stop or 1/2-stop increments
Single, Continuous, 10-sec. self-timer/Remote control, 2-sec. self-timer, Continuous shooting after 10-sec. self-timer (2 to 10 shots)
Continuous Shooting Speed
With One-Shot AF or MF: Approx. 4.3 fps*
*With Servo AF during continuous shooting, there are limitations depending on AF operation and the attached lenses.
With One-Shot AF or MF: Approx. 4.3 fps∗
∗With Servo AF during continuous shooting, there are limitations depending on AF operation and the attached lenses.
AF Operation One Shot / A condition before Movie shooting Servo AF during continuous shooting
EF-M 18–55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM 4.3 fps YES (1.7 fps)∗1
EF-M 22mm f/2 STM∗1 YES (1.2 fps)∗1
EF(EF-S) lens NO (4.3 fps)
∗1AF frame is fixed in frame chosen by [Face Detect + Tracking] and [FlexiZone - Multi] at the time of continuous shooting mode, and AF is carried out for the chosen AF frame.
Based on 8GB memory Card*1:
JPEG Large/Fine: Approx. 15 Shots
RAW: Approx. 6 Shots
RAW+JPEG Large/Fine: 3 Shots
Based on UHS-I 8GB memory card*2:
JPEG Large/Fine: Approx. 17 Shots
RAW: Approx. 6 Shots
RAW + JPEG Large/Fine: 3 Shots
Live View Functions
Photo shooting and video shooting
- Face Detection + Tracking AF
- FlexiZone - Multi (31 zones, AF at the touched Zone)
- FlexiZone - Single
Evaluative metering, partial metering, spot metering, center-weighted average metering
EV 1 - EV 20 (At 73°F/23°C, EF-M 22mm f/2 STM, ISO 100)
Provided (Two-type grid displays)
MOV (Image data: H.264; audio: Linear PCM (Stereo))
1920 x 1080: 330 MB/min.
1280 x 720: 330 MB/min.
640 x 480: 82.5 MB/min.
1920 x 1080 (Full HD): 30p (29.97) / 24p (23.976) / 25p
1280 x 720 (HD): 60p (59.94) / 50p
640 x 480 (SD): 30p (29.97) / 25p
Continuous Shooting Time
Based on 8GB Memory card
[1920 x 1080]
30 fps: Approx. 22 min.
25 fps: Approx. 22 min.
24 fps: Approx. 22 min.
[1280 x 720]
60 fps: 22 min.
50 fps: 22 min.
[640 x 480]
30 fps: 1 hr. 32 min.
25 fps: 1 hr. 32 min.
Based on 16GB Memory card
[1920 x 1080]
30 fps: Approx. 44 min.
25 fps: Approx. 44 min.
24 fps: Approx. 44 min.
[1280 x 720]
60 fps: 44 min.
50 fps: 44 min.
[640 x 480]
30 fps: 3 hr. 4 min.
25 fps: 3 hr. 4 min.
1. Face Detection + Tracking AF
2. FlexiZone - Multi
3. FlexiZone - Single
Auto ISO range: ISO 100-6400
Manual ISO range: ISO 100-6400 (expandable to 12800 in H mode)
*If highlight tone priority is set, automatically set within ISO 200 or higher.
(1) Movie autoexposure mode
* Shutter speed 1/30 - 1/4000 sec. (Signal accumulation time), aperture, and ISO speed automatically set.
(2) Movie manual exposure mode
* Shutter speed (signal accumulation time), aperture, and ISO speed (auto/manual) manually set. The shutter speed (signal accumulation time) is limited to 1/4000 sec. at the maximum and to 1/30 sec. at the minimum for 24/25/30 fps or 1/60 sec. or higher for 50/60 fps.
Provided (±3 stops in 1/3-stop increments)
* For video, exposure compensation will not be applied beyond ±3 stops even if the exposure compensation has been set beyond ±3 stops.
TFT color, liquid-crystal monitor with Touch Panel LCD (capacitive type)
3.0 in. (Screen aspect ratio of 3:2)
Approx. 1,040,000 dots
Viewing Angle: 170° (vertically and horizontally)
Adjustable to one of 7 levels
25 (English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Portuguese, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Greek, Russian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Romanian, Ukraine, Turkish, Arabic, Thai, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Korean, Japanese)
(1) Single image display
- Single image, basic information, detailed information, histogram display
(2) Index display
4-image index and 9-image index.
(3) Jump display (Image jump w/ Main Dial)
1/10/100 images, shooting date, by folder, videos, stills, ratings
On the detailed information and histogram displays, highlight areas with no image data will blink.
Quick Control Function
When you press the Quick Control function button under the following conditions, you can set the functions below:
*The settable functions depend on the shooting mode
(1) During still photo shooting:
AF operation, AF method, image-recording quality, Creative filters, white balance, Picture Style, Auto Lighting Optimizer, and metering mode.
(2) During movie shooting:
AF method, image-recording quality (stills), movie-recording size, video snapshot, white balance, Picture Style, and Auto Lighting Optimizer.
Image Protection and Erase
Erase protection can be applied/canceled for a single image, all images in a folder, or all images in the card.
Erase single image, erase selected images, erase all images on folder, erase all images in a card, or erase only unprotected images.
JPEG images complying to Design rule for Camera File System
RAW images printable.
Video cannot be printed.
DPOF: Digital Print Order Format
DPOF print ordering provided (Complies to DPOF Version 1.1)
* If both Standard and Index are set, only Standard will take effect for printing.
Direct Image Transfer
Seven Custom Functions with 19 settings settable with the camera
My Menu Registration
Up to six top-tier menu options and Custom Function settings can be registered
For personal computer communication and direct printing (USB 2.0 Hi-Speed)
Video Out Terminal
(1) Video OUT terminal: NTSC/PAL selectable
(2) mini-HDMI OUT terminal
Extension System Terminal
One Battery Pack LP-E12
* With the AC Adapter Kit ACK-E12, AC power is possible.
1) Camera Battery Pack LP-E12
At 73°F / 23°C At 32°F / 0°C
Still Photo Shooting Approx. 230 Approx. 200
Video Shooting Total: 1 hr. 30 min. Total 1 hr. 20 min.
Automatic battery level check when power is turned ON.
Battery level indicated in one of four levels on LCD monitor.
Power turns off after the set time of non-operation elapses
* [Auto power off] settable to 30 sec., 1 min., 2 min., 4 min., 8 min., 15 min. or disable
Built-in secondary battery. When fully-charged, the date/time can be maintained for about three months.
Approx. 1.6 sec. with EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM* (Based on CIPA standards)
*The times are different according to the attached lens.
Dimensions and Weight
Dimensions (W x H x D)
Approx. 4.28 x 2.62 x 1.27 in./ 108.6 x 66.5 x 32.3mm
Approx. 9.2 oz. / 262g (body only)
Approx. 10.5 oz. / 298g (According to CIPA Standards)
Working Temperature Range
Working Humidity Range
85% or less