Digital, AF/AE single-lens reflex, camera with built-in flash
SD card, SDHC card, SDXC memory card
* Compatible with Ultra High Speed (UHS-I) and Eye-Fi Cards.
22.3 x 14.9 mm (APS-C size)
Canon EF lenses including EF-S lenses
(35mm-equivalent focal length is approx.1.6x the lens focal length)
Canon EF mount
Effective pixels: Approx. 18.0 megapixels
4.3 µm square
Total pixels: Approx. 18.50 megapixels
3:2 (Horizontal : Vertical)
Color Filter System
RGB primary color filters
Low Pass Filter
Fixed position in front of the CMOS sensor
Dust Deletion Feature
(1) Self Cleaning Sensor Unit
Removes dust adhering to the low-pass filter.
Self-cleaning executed automatically (taking approx. 2 sec.) when power is turned on or off. Manual execution also possible (taking approx. 5 sec.).
(2) Dust Delete Data acquisition and appending
The coordinates of the dust adhering to the low-pass filter are detected by a test shot and appended to subsequent images.
The dust coordinate data appended to the image is used by the provided software to automatically erase the dust spots.
(3) Manual cleaning
Complies with Design rule for Camera File system 2.0 and Exif 2.30
(1) Large: Approx. 17.90 Megapixels (5,184 x 3,456)
(2) Medium: Approx. 8.00 Megapixels (3,456 x 2,304)
(3) Small 1: Approx. 4.50 Megapixels (2,592 x 1,728)
(4) Small 2: Approx. 2.50 Megapixels (1920 x 1280)
(5) Small 3: Approx. 350,000 Pixels (720 x 480)
(6) RAW: Approx. 17.90 Megapixels (5,184 x 3,456)
The following three types of file numbering method can be set:
(1) Continuous numbering
* The numbering of captured images will continue even after you replace the camera's card.
(2) Auto reset
* When you replace the camera's card, the numbering will be reset to start from 0001. If the new card already contains images, the numbering will continue from the last recorded image in the card.
(3) Manual reset
* Resets the file number to 0001, and creates a new folder automatically.
RAW + JPEG Simultaneous Recording
Large RAW and JPEG images are recorded simultaneously
sRGB, Adobe RGB
Auto, Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Neutral, Faithful, Monochrome, User Defined 1-3
Auto, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy (Twilight and Sunset), Tungsten Light, White Fluorescent Light, Flash, Custom (Custom White Balance: Approx. 2,000° - 10,000° K)
Auto White Balance
Auto white balance with the image sensor
Color Temperature Compensation
White balance correction:
Blue/amber bias: ±9 levels
Magenta/green bias: ±9 levels
* Correction based on the current WB mode's color temperature.
Color Temperature Information Transmission
Eye-level SLR (with fixed pentamirror)
Vertical/Horizontal approx. 95%
Approx. 0.85x / 23.8°
Approx. 19 mm (At -1m-1 from the eyepiece lens center)
Dioptric Adjustment Correction
-3.0 to +1.0 m-1 (dpt)
Quick-return half mirror (transmission: reflection ratio of 40:60)
1) AF information (AF points and focus confirmation light)
2) Exposure information (Shutter speed, aperture, ISO speed (always displayed), AE lock, exposure level, spot metering circle, exposure warning)
3) Flash information (Flash ready, flash exposure compensation, high-speed sync, FE lock, red-eye reduction light)
4) Image information (Highlight tone priority (D+), monochrome shooting, maximum burst (1-digit display), white balance correction, SD card information)
Depth Of Field Preview
Enabled with depth-of-field preview button
TTL-CT-SIR AF-dedicated CMOS sensor
9 points (All AF points are cross-type at f/5.6., Center AF point is diagonal cross-type at f/2.8.)
AF Working Range
EV -0.5 - 18 (at 23°C/73°F and ISO 100, based on Canon's testing standards)
Predictive AI Servo AF
AI Focus AF (*Switches between One-Shot AF and AI Servo AF)
(2) Manual focus (MF)
AF Point Selection
(1) Manual selection
(2) Auto selection
* Automatically set in Basic Zone modes.
Selected AF Point Display
Indicated by superimposed display in the viewfinder and on the LCD monitor
AF Assist Beam
(1) Intermittent firing of built-in flash
(2) Effective range: Approx. 13.1 ft./4 m. at center, approx. 11.5 ft /3.5 m. at periphery
* With an EOS-dedicated Speedlite attached, the Speedlite's AF-assist beam is emitted instead.
* Compatible with assist-beam (intermittent firing) of 270EX II, 320EX, and 270EX flashes.
Real-time evaluative metering with image sensor
Evaluative metering, partial metering (center: approx. 9% of viewfinder), spot metering (center: approx. 4% of viewfinder), center-weighted average metering
* AE lock possible. The active metering time can be changed.
EV 1.0 - EV 20.0 (at 73°F/23°C with EF50mm f/1.4 USM lens, ISO 100)
Exposure Control Systems
(1) Program AE (shiftable)
(2) Shutter-priority AE
(3) Aperture-priority AE
(4) Manual exposure (including bulb)
(1) Scene Intelligent Auto (Program AE / non-shiftable)
(2) Flash Off
(3) Creative Auto
(8) Night Portrait
(9) Handheld Night Scene mode
(10) HDR Backlight Control mode
ISO Speed Range
1. Manual setting range of ISO 100-12800, expansion to ISO 25600
2. Auto, ISO 100-6400 (in whole-stop increments)
- In Creative Zone modes, the maximum ISO speed (ISO 400, 800, 1600, 3200, or 6400) for ISO Auto can be set.
- With C.Fn-6-1 (Highlight tone priority), ISO 200 or higher will be set.
Shooting Mode ISO Settings
Scene Intelligent Auto, Flash Off, Creative Auto, Landscape, Close-up, Sports, Night Portrait, HDR Backlight Control mode ISO 100–6400
Handheld Night Scene mode ISO 100–12800
Portrait ISO 100 fixed∗1
P, TV, Av, M*2 ISO–6400∗3
With flash ISO 400 fixed∗4,5 *1: When the built-in flash is retracted, the ISO speed will be set automatically within ISO 100–6400.
*2: Fixed at ISO 400 for Bulb exposures.
*3: Depends on the maximum ISO speed that has been set.
*4: If fill-flash will result in overexposure, the lowest ISO 100 is set.
*5: If you use bounce flash with an external Speedlite in the Creative Auto, Portrait, Landscape, Close-up, Sports, and P modes, the ISO speed is set automatically within ISO 400–1600 (or up to the maximum limit) to match the brightness.
Manual: ±5 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments (AEB ±2 stops)
AEB : ±2 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
* If the exposure compensation exceeds ±2 stops, the left or right icon appears in the viewfinder.
* Manual exposure compensation and AEB can be set in combination.
* AEB is set in the following sequence: Standard exposure, decreased exposure, and increased exposure.
* If AEB is used with the self-timer, the three bracketed shots will be taken in succession after the 10-sec. or 2-sec. delay.
(1) Auto AE lock
* In the One-Shot AF mode with evaluative metering, AE lock takes effect when focus is achieved.
(2) Manual AE lock
* In the P, Tv, Av, and M modes, enabled with the AE lock button. (Press again to update.)
* Enabled in all metering modes.
Vertical-travel, mechanical, focal-plane shutter with all speeds electronically-controlled
1/4000 to 1/60 sec., X-sync at 1/200 sec. (Scene Intelligent Auto)
1/4000 to 30 sec., bulb, X-sync at 1/200 sec. (Total shutter speed range. Available range varies by shooting mode.)
* Settable in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments.
Soft-touch electromagnetic release
10-sec. or 2-sec. delay
Shutter Lag Time
(1) During SW-1 ON, time lag between SW-2 ON and start of exposure: Approx. 0.075 sec.
(2) Time lag between simultaneous SW-1/SW-2 ON and start of exposure: Approx. 0.150 sec.
* Time lag with the aperture stopped down by 3 stops or less. Excludes AF operation time.
Compatible with Remote Controller RC-6, RC-1, and RC-5
Remote control mode (via menu) for video shooting provided
* You can start or stop video shooting immediately with the wireless remote control's 2-sec. delay mode (operates as immediate start/stop).
* Still photo shooting is possible with the wireless remote control's immediate shutter-release mode.
Built in Flash
Auto pop-up, retractable, built-in flash in the pentamirror
Flash Metering System
E-TTL II autoflash (evaluative flash metering and average flash metering), FE lock
Approx. 13/43 (at ISO 100 in meters/feet)
Approx. 3 sec.
Flash Ready Indicator
Flash-ready icon lights in viewfinder
Up to 17mm focal length (equivalent to approx. 28mm in 135 format)
Flash Exposure Compensation
Up to ±2 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
Flash exposure compensation for built-in flash and Speedlite can be set with the camera.
E-TTL II autoflash (evaluative flash metering and average flash metering), FE Lock
Flash Exposure Compensation
±2 stops in 1/3-stop or 1/2-stop increments
Single, Continuous, 10-sec. self-timer/Remote control, 2-sec. self-timer, Continuous shooting after 10-sec. self-timer (2 to 10 shots)
Continuous Shooting Speed
Max. approx. 5.0 fps (with One-Shot AF or AI SERVO AF)
* Same as with Battery Grip BG-E8 loaded with size-AA/LR6 alkaline batteries.
Based on 8GB memory Card:
JPEG Large/Fine: Approx. 22 Shots
RAW: Approx. 6 Shots
RAW+JPEG Large/Fine: 3 Shots
Based on UHS-I memory card:
JPEG Large/Fine: Approx. 30 Shots
RAW: Approx. 6 Shots
RAW + JPEG Large/Fine: 3 Shots
Live View Functions
Still photo shooting and video shooting
- Face Detection + Tracking AF
- FlexiZone - Multi (31 zones, AF at the touched Zone)
- FlexiZone - Single
- Quick Mode AF
(2) Manual focusing
*Magnify the image by 5x or 10x and focus manually.
Evaluative metering, partial metering, spot metering, center-weighted average metering
EV 0 to EV 20 (At 23°C/73°F, 50mm f/1.4 lens, ISO 100)
Provided (Two-type grid displays)
MOV (Image data: H.264; audio: Linear PCM (Stereo))
Recording Size: [Full HD]
1920 x 1080: 330 MB/min.
1280 x 720: 330 MB/min.
640 x 480: 82.5 MB/min.
1920 x 1080 (Full HD): 30p (29.97) / 24p (23.976) / 25p
1280 x 720 (HD): 60p (59.94) / 50p
640 x 480 (SD): 30p (29.97) / 25p
Continuous Shooting Time
[1920 x 1080]
30 fps: Approx. 22 min.
25 fps: Approx. 22 min.
24 fps: Approx. 22 min.
[1280 x 720]
60 fps: 22 min.
50 fps: 22 min.
[640 x 480]
30 fps: 1 hr. 32 min.
25 fps: 1 hr. 32 min.
1. Face Detection + Tracking AF
2. FlexiZone - Multi (31 zones, AF at the touched zone)
3. FlexiZone - Single
(2) Manual focus
1. Magnify the image by approx. 5x or approx. 10x and focus manually.
2. Magnified view is not possible during video shooting.
Auto ISO range: ISO 100-6400
Manual ISO range: ISO 100-6400, H12800
*If highlight tone priority is set, automatically set within ISO 200 or higher.
(1) Program AE for video shooting
* In Basic Zone modes, P, Av, and Tv modes
* Shutter speed 1/30 - 1/4000 sec. (Signal accumulation time), aperture, and ISO speed automatically set.
(2) Manual exposure
* For manual exposure.
* Shutter speed (signal accumulation time), aperture, and ISO speed (auto/manual) manually set. The shutter speed (signal accumulation time) is limited to 1/4000 sec. at the maximum and to 1/30 sec. at the minimum for 24/25/30 fps or 1/60 sec. or higher for 50/60 fps.
Provided (±3 stops in 1/3-stop increments)
* For video, exposure compensation will not be applied beyond ±3 stops even if the exposure compensation has been set beyond ±3 stops.
TFT color, liquid-crystal monitor with Touch Panel LCD (capacitive type)
3.0 in. (Screen aspect ratio of 3:2)
Approx. 1,040,000 dots
Viewing Angle: 170° (vertically and horizontally)
Auto: Brightness adjusted automatically by the light sensor, Manual: 7 levels provided
25 (English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Portuguese, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Greek, Russian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Romanian, Ukraine, Turkish, Arabic, Thai, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Korean, Japanese)
(1) Single image display
Single image, basic information, detailed information, histogram display
(2) Index display
4-image index and 9-image index.
(3) Jump display (Image jump w/ Main Dial)
1/10/100 images, shooting date, by folder, movies, stills, rating
On the detailed information and histogram displays, highlight areas with no image data will blink.
Quick Control Function
When you press the Quick Control function button under the following conditions, you can set the functions below:
*The settable functions depend on the shooting mode
(1) With viewfinder shooting:
Shutter speed, aperture, ISO speed, exposure compensation, AEB, flash exposure compensation, Picture Style, white balance, Auto Lighting Optimizer, built-in flash func. setting, AF mode, drive mode, metering mode, and image recording quality.
(2) With Live View shooting:
AF mode, drive mode, white balance, Picture Style, Auto Lighting Optimizer, image-recording quality, and built-in flash func. setting.
(3) With video shooting:
AF mode, white balance, Picture Style, Auto Lighting Optimizer, image recording quality (stills), video-recording size, and video snapshot.
Image Protection and Erase
Erase protection can be applied/canceled for a single image, all images in a folder, or all images in the card.
Erase single image, erase selected images, erase all images on folder, erase all images in a card, or erase only unprotected images.
JPEG images complying to Design rule for Camera File System
RAW images printable.
Video cannot be printed.
DPOF: Digital Print Order Format
DPOF print ordering provided (Complies to DPOF Version 1.1)
* If both Standard and Index are set, only Standard will take effect for printing.
Direct Image Transfer
Eight Custom Functions with 24 settings settable with the camera
My Menu Registration
Up to six top-tier menu options and Custom Function settings can be registered
For personal computer communication and direct printing (USB 2.0 Hi-Speed)
Video Out Terminal
(1) Video OUT terminal: NTSC/PAL selectable
(2) mini-HDMI OUT terminal
Extension System Terminal
One Battery Pack LP-E8
* With the AC Adapter Kit ACK-E8, AC power is possible.
* With BG-E8, two battery packs (LP-E8) can be used. Or six size-AA/LR6 batteries can be used.
1) Camera body only
Shooting Method Temperature Shooting Conditions
AE 100% AE 50%, FA 50%
Viewfinder Shooting At 73°F/ 23°C Approx. 550 shots Approx. 440 shots
At 32°F/ 0°C Approx. 470 shots Approx. 400 shots
Live View shooting At 73°F /23°C Approx. 200 shots Approx. 180 shots
At 32°F/ 0°C Approx. 170 shots Approx. 150 shots
2) With Battery Grip BG-E8
Shooting Method Battery Temperature Shooting Conditions (Approx.)
AE 100% AE 50%, FA 50%
Viewfinder Shooting LP-E8 x 1 Same as (1)
LP-E8 x 2 At 73°F/ 23°C Approx. 1100 shots Approx. 880 shots
At 32°F/ 0°C Approx. 940 shots Approx. 800 shots
Size AA/LR6 Alkaline Batteries At 73°F/ 23°C Approx. 470 shots Approx. 270 shots
At 32°F/ 0°C Approx. 130 shots Approx. 80 shots
Live View shooting LP-E8 x 1 Same as (1)
LP-E8 x 2 At 73°F/ 23°C Approx. 400 shots Approx. 360 shots
At 32°F/ 0°C Approx. 340 shots Approx. 300 shots
Size AA/LR6 Alkaline Batteries At 73°F/ 23°C Approx. 180 shots Approx. 150 shots
At 32°F/ 0°C Approx. 30 shots Approx. 30 shots
Automatic battery level check when power is turned ON.
Battery level indicated in one of four levels on LCD monitor.
Power turns off after the set time of non-operation elapses
* [Auto power off] settable to 30 sec., 1 min., 2 min., 4 min., 8 min., 15 min. or disable
Built-in secondary battery. When fully-charged, the date/time can be maintained for about three months.
Approx. 0.1 sec. (Based on CIPA testing standards)
Dimensions and Weight
Dimensions (W x H x D)
Approx. 5.2 x 3.9 x 3.1 in./ 133.1 x 99.8 x 78.8 mm
Approx. 18.3 oz. / 520 g (body only)
Approx. 20.3 oz. / 575 g (CIPA Guidelines)
Working Temperature Range
Working Humidity Range
85% or less