Digital, AF/AE single-lens reflex, camera with built-in flash
SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards
Approx. 0.88 x 0.59 in. / 22.3 x 14.9mm (APS-C size)
Canon EF and EF-S Lenses (35mm-equivalent focal length is approx. 1.6x the lens focal length)
Canon EF mount
High-sensitivity, high-resolution, large single-plate CMOS sensor
Effective: Approx. 18.0 Megapixels: 5200 (H) x 3462 (V) pixels
19.0 Megapixels: 5432 (H) x 3492 (V) pixels
3:2 (Horizontal: Vertical)
Color Filter System
RGB primary color filters
Low Pass Filter
Fixed position in front of the image sensor
Dust Deletion Feature
(1) Self Cleaning Sensor Unit
· Removes dust adhering to low-pass filter.
· Self-cleaning executed automatically (taking about 2 sec.) when power is turned on or off. Manual execution also possible (taking about 6 sec.).
· Low-pass filter has a fluorine coating.
(2) Dust Delete Data acquisition and appending
· The coordinates of the dust adhering to the low-pass filter are detected by a test shot and appended to subsequent images.
· The dust coordinate data appended to the image is used by the provided software to automatically erase the dust spots.
(3) Manual cleaning
Design Rule for Camera File System 2.0 and EXIF 2.3
Still Image: JPEG, RAW (14-bit Canon Original), M-RAW, S-RAW, RAW+JPEG, M-RAW+JPEG, S-RAW+JPEG
Video: MOV (Image data: H.264; Audio: Linear PCM)
1. Large/Fine: Approx. 17.90 Megapixels (5184 x 3456)
2. Medium/Fine: Approx. 8.00 Megapixels (3456 x 2304)
3. Small 1/Normal: Approx. 4.50 Megapixels (2592 x 1728)
4. Small 2/Fine: Approx. 2.50 Megapixels (1920 x 1280)
5. Small 3/Fine: Approx. 0.35 Megapixels (720 x 480)
6. RAW: Approx. 17.90 Megapixels (5184 x 3456)
7. M-RAW: Approx. 10.10 Megapixels (3888 x 2592)
8. S-RAW: Approx. 4.50 Megapixels (2592 x 1728)
Exact file sizes depend on the subject, ISO speed, Picture Style, etc.
1. Card access indicator (access lamp blinking)
2. Read error warning (the respective error warning is displayed in the viewfinder and on the LCD monitor, and the shutter release locks
3. Card formatting (normal formatting and low-level formatting are possible
4. No card warning provided
The following three types of file numbers can be set:
(1) Continuous numbering
* The continuous numbering of captured images will continue even after you replace the camera's card. (The numbering continues even when the folder changes.)
(2) Auto reset
* When you replace the camera's card, the numbering will be reset to start from 0001. If the new card already contains images, the numbering will continue from the last recorded image in the card.
(3) Manual reset
* Resets the file number to 0001, and creates a new folder automatically.
RAW + JPEG Simultaneous Recording
The image-recording quality can be selected in any combination of the three RAW and eight JPEG recording quality settings.
Selectable between sRGB and Adobe RGB
Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Neutral, Faithful, Monochrome, User Defined 1-3
Auto (AWB), Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten light, Fluorescent light, Flash*, Custom (Custom WB), Color Temperature
* Automatically adjusted by the built-in flash and EX-series Speedlite with color temperature communication feature. Set to approx. 6000K if the flash unit does not have the color temperature communication feature.
Auto White Balance
Auto white balance with the image sensor
Color Temperature Compensation
· Blue/amber bias: ±9 levels
· Magenta/green bias: ±9 levels
* Correction based on the current WB mode's color temperature.
Color Temperature Information Transmission
Approx. 96% vertically and horizontally (At approx. 22mm eyepoint)
Approx. 0.95x / 27.0° (with 50mm lens at infinity, -1 m-1 (diopter))
Approx. 22mm (At -1m-1 from the eyepiece lens center)
Dioptric Adjustment Correction
-3.0 to +1.0m-1 (diopter)
Ef-A provided as the standard focusing screen (Interchangeable. Ef-D: Grid lines, Ef-S: Point of focus)
Quick-return half mirror (transmission: reflectance ratio of 40:60)
· AF information
AF point, focus confirmation, AF status indicator
· Exposure information
Shutter speed, aperture, ISO speed (always displayed), AE lock, exposure level, exposure warning
· Flash information
Flash ready, flash exposure compensation, high-speed sync, FE lock, red-eye reduction light
· Image information
Highlight tone priority (D+), maximum burst (2-digit display), card information
· Battery check
· Electronic level (Horizontal only)
Depth Of Field Preview
Enabled with Depth-of-field preview button
TTL-CT-SIR AF-dedicated CMOS sensor
All nine AF points are cross-type (center AF point with dual cross sensor for f/2.8)
AF Working Range
EV -0.5 to 18 (at 73°F/23°C and ISO 100)
· One-Shot AF
· Predictive AI Servo AF
· AI Focus AF
(Switches between One-Shot AF and AI SERVO AF automatically)
(2) Manual focus (MF)
AF Point Selection
(1) Automatic selection
* With C.Fn III -2 to 1, the Multi-controller can be used to select the AF point directly.
(2) Manual selection
* Set automatically in Basic Zone modes.
Selected AF Point Display
Indicated by superimposed display in the viewfinder and on the LCD panel
AF Assist Beam
Intermittent firing of built-in flash:
Effective range: Approx. 13.1 ft./4m at center, approx. 11.5 ft./3.5m at periphery.
* With an EOS-dedicated Speedlite attached, the Speedlite's AF-assist beam is emitted instead.
Max. aperture TTL metering with 63-zone SPC with the following selectable modes:
(1) Evaluative metering (linked to all AF points)
(2) Partial metering (center, approx. 6.5% of viewfinder)
(3) Spot metering (center, approx. 2.8% of viewfinder)
(4) Center-weighted average metering
EV 0 to 20 (at 73°F / 23°C with 50mm f/1.4 lens at ISO 100)
Exposure Control Systems
(1) Program AE (shiftable)
(2) Shutter-priority AE (Safety shift possible)
(3) Aperture-priority AE (Safety shift possible)
(4) Manual exposure
(6) Full Auto
(7) Flash Off
(8) Creative Auto
(9) Programmed Image Control modes
* Portrait, Landscape, Close-up, Sports, Night Portrait
(10) E-TTL II autoflash program AE
* Evaluative metering, Averaged metering
ISO Speed Range
ISO 100 - 6400 (in 1/3-stop or whole-stop increments)
· ISO 12800 can be enabled with a Custom Function.
· With [Highlight tone priority], the ISO speed range will be automatically set within 200-6400.
1. In Creative Zone modes, the maximum settable ISO speed (400-6400) will vary within the automatic ISO speed range.
2. If overexposure would occur with fill flash, ISO 100 will be the lowest set.
3. In the
and Basic Zone modes (except Night Portrait), bounce flash will be set automatically within ISO 400-1600 (or maximum ISO speed limit).
Manual: ±5 stops in 1/3 or 1/2-stop increments
AEB: ±3 stops in 1/3 or 1/2-stop increments
* Indicated up to ±3 stops on the LCD panel and in the viewfinder.
(1) Auto AE lock
·In the One-Shot AF mode with evaluative metering, AE lock takes effect when focus is achieved.
(2) Manual AE lock
·With AE lock button. (AE lock is updated each time you press the button.) Enabled in all metering modes.
Vertical-travel, mechanical, focal-plane shutter with all speeds electronically-controlled
1/8000 to 1/60 sec., X-sync at 1/250 sec.
1/8000 to 30 sec., bulb (Total shutter speed range. Available range varies by shooting mode.)
Soft-touch electromagnetic release
10-sec. or 2-sec. Delay
Built in Flash
Auto pop-up, retractable, built-in flash in the pentaprism
Flash Metering System
E-TTL II autoflash
43/13 (ISO 100, in feet/meters)
Approx. 3 sec.
Flash Ready Indicator
Flash-ready icon lights in viewfinder
Up to 17mm focal length (equivalent to approx. 28mm in 135 format)
Flash Exposure Compensation
Up to ±3 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
EOS Dedicated Speedlite
E-TTL II autoflash with all EX Series Speedlites
Zooming to Match Focal Length
Flash Exposure Compensation
±3 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
External Flash Settings
The camera can set the following with Speedlite 600EX-RT, 580EX II, 430EX II, 320EX, 270EX II, or 270EX:
(1) External flash control
* Flash mode, sync setting, FEB (not possible with 270EX), flash exposure compensation, E-TTL II, zoom, wireless master flash (not possible with 430EX II/ 270EX), and clear settings.
(2) Flash Custom Function setting
Single, High-speed continuous, Low-speed continuous, Silent Single Shooting and Self-timer (10 sec. self-timer/remote control, or 2-sec. self-timer/remote control)
Continuous Shooting Speed
High-speed: Maximum approx. 5.3 shots/sec.
Low-speed: Maximum approx. 3.0 shots/sec.
JPEG (Large/Fine): approx. 58
RAW: approx. 16
RAW+JPEG (Large/Fine): approx. 7
· The number of possible shots and maximum burst apply to a 4GB SD card based on Canon's testing standards.
· The image file size, number of possible shots, and maximum burst will vary depending on the shooting conditions (aspect ratio 3:2, subject, memory card brand, ISO speed, Picture Style, etc.).
· The "F" after the number indicates that continuous shooting is possible until the card becomes full.
Live View Functions
(1) Live View shooting
(2) Remote Live View shooting (with a personal computer installed with EOS Utility)
(1) Autofocus (One-Shot AF)
· Live mode
· One-point, contrast AF. Switching to another AF point possible.
· Face detection Live mode
· Face detection, contrast AF. Face selectable.
· Quick mode
9-point, phase-difference AF, same as normal shooting.
(2) Manual focus
* Magnify the image by 5x or 10x and focus manually.
Real-time Evaluative metering with the image sensor
Real-time evaluative metering with image sensor:
· Metering range: EV 0 - EV 20 (At 73°F/23°C, 50mm f/1.4 lens, ISO 100)
· AE lock possible
· The active metering time can be changed.
Two grid displays provided
Provided (Mode 1 and 2)
MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
Variable (averaged) bit rate
1920 x 1080 (Full HD), 1280 x 720 and 640 x 480
[1920 x 1080]: 30 fps / 25 fps / 24 fps
[1280 x 720]: 60 fps / 50 fps
[640 x 480]: 30 fps / 25 fps
Continuous Shooting Time
[1920 x 1080]
30 fps: 22 min.
25 fps: 22 min.
24 fps: 22 min.
[1280 x 720]
60 fps: 22 min.
50 fps: 22 min.
[640 x 480]
60 fps: 46 min.
25 fps: 46 min.
· The file system limits the file size of a single movie clip to 4 GB. If the movie clip reaches 4 GB, the shooting will stop automatically. This translates to around 11 min. for 1920 x 1080 and 1280 x 720, and around 22 min. for 640 x 480 and Cropped 640 x 480.
· Even if the file size of a single movie clip is within 4 GB, movie shooting will automatically terminate when the movie time reaches 29 min. 59 sec.
Same as focusing with Live View shooting
* During movie shooting or if movie cropping has been set, the image cannot be magnified for manual focusing.
(1) Program AE for movie shooting
* For shooting modes other than manual exposure and bulb.
* Shutter speed (1/30 - 1/4000 sec., signal accumulation time), aperture, and ISO speed automatically set.
(2) Manual exposure
* For manual exposure.
* Shutter speed (signal accumulation time), aperture, and ISO speed (auto/manual) manually set. The shutter speed (signal accumulation time) is limited to 1/4000 sec. at the maximum and to 1/30 sec. at the minimum for 24/25/30 fps or 1/60 sec. or higher for 50/60 fps.
Up to ±3 stops in 1/3-stop increments
* For movies, even if exposure compensation has been set beyond ±3 stops, exposure compensation up to only ±3 stops will be applied.
* For still photos, exposure compensation up to ±5 stops can be applied.
TFT color, Vari-angle LCD monitor (3:2)
Approx. 1.04 million dots
Approx. 160° vertically and horizontally
Adjustable to one of seven brightness levels
25 (English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Portuguese, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Greek, Russian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Romanian, Ukraine, Turkish, Arabic, Thai, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Korean, Japanese)
Single image display (Two types of single-image full display and two types of shooting information display), Index display (4-image index and 9-image index), Jump display (1/10/100 images, shooting date, by folder, video, stills, rating), AF point display, Histogram (1. Brightness 2. RGB), Magnify zoom display (1.5x to 10x enabled in 15 steps), Rotated display (Manual, Auto) Slide Show (Image selection: Playback according to All images, Date, Folder
Movies, Stills, or Rating; Display time: 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, or 20 sec.; Repeat: Enable/Disable; Transition effect: Off, Slide in, Fade 1, Fade 2)
With single-image display (Info.) and single-image display, overexposed highlight areas will blink
Image Protection and Erase
Erase protection can be applied or canceled for a single image, all images in a folder or all images in the card
Erase a single image, selected images, all images in a folder, all images in a card or erase only unprotected images
RAW and JPEG images complying to Design rule for Camera File System
·Movies cannot be printed
DPOF: Digital Print Order Format
Version 1.1 compatible
Direct Image Transfer
JPEG and RAW images and movie
For RAW+JPEG, only the RAW or JPEG image or both images can be transferred
20 Custom Functions settable with the camera
Camera User Settings
Current camera settings can be registered to C1, C2 and C3 on the Mode Dial (Automatic registration update is possible)
My Menu Registration
Up to six top-tier menu options and Custom Function settings can be registered
One Battery Pack LP-E6
AC power can be supplied with the AC Adapter Kit ACK-E6
1) Camera body only
Shooting Method Temperature Shooting Conditions (Approx.)
AE 100% AE 50%, FA 50%
Viewfinder Shooting At 73°F/ 23°C 1600 1100
At 32°F/ 0°C 1400 1000
Live View shooting At 73°F /23°C 350 320
At 32°F/ 0°C 310 280
2) With Battery Grip BG-E9
Shooting Method Battery Temperature Shooting Conditions (Approx.)
AE 100% AE 50%, FA 50%
Viewfinder Shooting LP-E6 x 1 Same as (1)
LP-E6 x 2 At 73°F/ 23°C 3200 2200
At 32°F/ 0°C 2800 2000
Size AA/LR6 alkaline batteries At 73°F/ 23°C 550 410
At 32°F/ 0°C 140 90
Live View shooting LP-E6 x 1 Same as (1)
LP-E6 x 2 At 73°F/ 23°C 700 640
At 32°F/ 0°C 610 560
Size AA/LR6 alkaline batteries At 73°F/ 23°C - -
At 32°F/ 0°C - -∗Based on CIPA testing standards
Automatic battery check when the power switch is turned on:
Displayed in 6 levels:
· Battery level displayed on LCD panel and in viewfinder.
· Battery information can be checked with the [Battery info.] menu
· If Battery Grip BG-E9 is used with size AA/LR6 batteries, the battery level is displayed in four levels instead.
Power turns off after the set time (1, 2, 4, 8, 15 or 30 minutes) of non-operation elapses.
Built-in secondary battery
Approx. 0.1 sec
Dimensions and Weight
Dimensions (W x H x D)
Approx. 5.69 x 4.17 x 3.09 in.
Approx. 144.5 x 105.8 x 78.6mm
Approx. 26.6 oz./ 755g (CIPA)
Approx. 23.8 oz./ 675g (body only)
Working Temperature Range
Working Humidity Range
85% or less